Friday, March 20, 2009

Notes From the Archive

Hi there! My name is Leah and I'm the project archivist here at the Mattress Factory. As my first post here on the MF blog, I'd just like to say hello to all of you out there in the interwebs. Welcome to the archive, or, rather, Notes from the Archive – a regular update on MF archival projects and happenings in my world.

The Mattress Factory archives are physically located on the third floor of the museum (near the Yayoi Kusama permanent collection pieces) behind two discrete doors. Inside the archive are many artistic gems including 3D installation remnants, models, artist sketches & correspondance, and limited editions.

Damien Hirst at the Mattress Factory (1993)
Flies from Damien Hirst's 1993 installation, Bad Environment for White Monochrome Paintings

We have many fun + interesting items from past installations. We have the dead fly remains from Damien Hirst’s Bad Environment for White Monochrome Paintings, instructions for John Cage’s Changing Installation at the Mattress Factory, and the wax heads and bird nests from Ann Hamilton’s Offering.

While we have a lot of interesting objects from the past, we are always accessioning new items from shows that have just come down. I look forward to sharing my projects with you and keeping you updated on some of the cool stuff I'm working on! Until next time!

-----------------------------------
Leah POSTED BY LEAH
Read All Posts by Leah
Email Leah
-----------------------------------

No comments: