Tuesday, April 9, 2013

MARIA MANGANO, Visitor Services Coordinator

Extra-Curricular Interests
Bicycling, clarinet, natural history, making high-pitched noises at photos of cute cats on the internet

What artists are currently in heavy rotation on your iPod?
Don Byron; The Bad Plus; Chamber Music Northwest & David Shifrin playing the Brahms Clarinet Quintet

If you could bring two things with you to a deserted island, what would they be?
A pocket knife, and my husband--he's good at the wilderness survival thing, so he could build us a shelter while I go birdwatching

If you could have dinner with one person from history, who would it be and why?
Marie Skłodowska-Curie. She was an incredible scientist and a true trailblazer for women - the first woman to win a Nobel, the only person to win in multiple sciences, the first female professor at the University of Paris - I could go on. Her pride in her heritage (she used her Polish maiden name professionally), her defiance of prevailing wisdom concerning the ability of women, and her dedication to her career have inspired me since childhood.

One more thing we should know about you:
I taught myself Quenya (the Elvish language and alphabet from Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings) in high school. It gave me some nerd cred for Carnegie Mellon.

READ ALL POSTS BY MARIA

No comments: